Celebrate the timeless beauty of the 1955 Karmann Ghia coupé – in a stylish Black 100% Cotton T-Shirt
The Karmann Ghia was the car that proved there was more to VW than just the Beetle! This T-Shirt is a no expense spared 4-colour silk screen masterpiece. Our illustration puts another 1950s icon, Audrey Hepburn in the driving seat too, to add a little extra 1950s glamour. This could be your last chance to get your hands on one of these iconic T-Shirts as it was produced in a limited edition - to celebrate the 60th anniversary. Order now whilst stocks last (or fill in back-in-stock alert for our new design). Also a few slim-fit T-Shirts still available in charcoal.
The plain facts:
- Coachbuilt by Karmann of Germany and styled by Luigi Segre of Ghia. The design was heavily influenced by styling themes explored by Ghia’s work on Chrysler and Studebaker
- American industrial designer Walter Dorwin Teague listed the Karmann Ghia as ‘one of the world's most beautifully designed products’
- Debuted at the 1953 Paris Auto Show as a ‘halo car’ and launched to the public in two years later in 1955
- Futuristic look, albeit modest Beetle 1200cc underpinnings (future models would increase engine capacity to 1500 then 1600cc)
- Convertible version followed in 1957
- Altogether, almost half a million of these cars were built between 1955-1974 – all variants (including 40,000+ in Brazil)
- Body panels were hand-shaped, butt-welded and smoothed with English pewter in a time-consuming exacting process – which was reflected in the car’s price tag.
- Ask any bodyshop, these cars require real craftsmanship to rebuild and repair, but it'll be worth it as she's a cracking looking car
And some rather more colourful, esoteric little snippets for the real enthusiast …
- US car designer Virgil Exner maintains that the Karmann Ghia was his design, based on his 1953 Chrysler D’Elegance design. You can certainly see some similarities!
- The Karmann Ghia was an instant success, particularly in the US, and proved a much needed revenue earner for VW in the 1950s
- Skillfully crafted illustration – influenced by US advertising style of period
- 100% cotton – Fruit of the Loom fine gauge, extra soft Belcoro® yarn (165gm/m2)
- Great to wear – with features like taped neckline for extra comfort
- Beautifully finished with twin needle stitching detail
- Highly durable, great shape retention and machine washable at 40°