Lady fit: 100% cotton figure hugging white T-shirt featuring 1950s VW range topping 'Samba' 23 window deluxe micro bus
£19.99 Size Guide
Beautifully finished with twin needle stitching detail, 100% cotton and flattering feminine fit Fruit-of-the-Loom garment. The range topping VW 'Samba' model featured on our garment proved popular as a tourist bus in the Alps in particular, with its additional 8 roof panoramic windows. Skillfully silk screen printed in three colours and influenced by VW illustrations of the early 1950s. Men's version also available.
The plain facts:
- Additionally it had a canvas roof for the ultimate in sight seeing convienience
- In the 1950s and early 1960s this type of van, in its basic form, served as a work horse all around the world. The T1 split screen design gave way to the T2 ‘Early Bay’ in 1967
- Standard Samba ‘vans’ were painted in two colours, the upper part was often white however we’ve always liked the Sealing Wax Red (paint code L53) and the Chestnut Brown (paint code L73) combination as featured on our garment
- The Samba bus also had a "hat" at the front of the van roofline to help block the sun for the driver. The van had chrome tables and a more comprehensive dashboard than the standard T1.
And some rather more colourful, esoteric little snippets for the real enthusiast …
- US sales of the Transporter commercial range stopped abruptly in 1964. France and Germany (west) had been charging a tax on imported US chicken products in a bid to protect their farmers from cheap US imported chicken products
- Additionally some accused US farmers of artificially feeding additives to gain a commercial advantage. In response President Johnson introduced a direct 25% tax that became known as ‘Chicken Tax’ on potato starch, dextrin, brandy and imported light trucks.
- The 'Chicken Tax' tariff is still in force to this day!
- Shaped side seams for a feminine fit
- Printed on white to enhance 3 colour silk screen design
- Skillfully crafted illustration influenced by 1950s style
- 100% cotton Fruit of the Loom – fine gauge, extra soft Belcoro® yarn (160gm/m2)
- Great to wear – with features like taped neckline for extra comfort
- Beautifully finished with twin needle stitching detail
- Highly durable, great shape retention and machine washable at 40°
- Discrete 'Legends' logo on back (@7.5cm) just below neck line